Saturday 21 January 2012

Why Effective Communication Skills Are Important For Me

For someone who isn't much of a tech-geek, I actually had problems finding my way around this website for publishing my post and tweaking my blog. I guess I am really not much of an observant reader as I tend to skim through websites/books/any visual medium just to get the gist of things. To top it off with festive procrastination (those chinese new year cookies that melt in your mouth!), I guess I am not too effective in my time management. Fret not my blog group mates - I will reply to your blog posts promptly!

Communication comes in many forms such as visual, verbal, written and even interpretation of expressions through body language and experience. Such cues are learnt in everyday interactions and are adopted for suitability from past experience with a sole purpose: to allow another party to understand our intentions the way we expect them to (regardless of truth or lies). It is amazing that ideas can still be interpreted across different countries, languages, religions and cultures despite certain barriers and taboos to be overcome. For example, I usually do not understand what my german tutor is speaking 70% of the time when she engages in a private conversation with me. However, through her facial expressions and picking up of words that I may understand in her dialogue, thankfully (and hopefully) I was able to reply her queries.

Firstly, I feel that effective communication encompasses an existing knowledge of a particular topic and the relevant skills to help disseminate the information that is required. In our university education, we are equipped with a diverse range of knowledge from our majors to our electives. To effectively and even persuasively engage another person who is not informed of a topic however may be tricky. Such communication skills are exercised in many situations such as class presentations, recommendations as to which modules to take or avoid etc. For example, I was highly dissuaded by my friends with regards to bidding for this module due to the heavy workload. Despite the rejections, everyone was unanimous in their response that it was a useful module to read with skills to learn and apply in the future. With the presentations, application letters, resumes and mock interviews ahead of us, it is a challenge to project myself confidently and professionally in a group to communicate effectively and help reach a consensus with every individual's knowledge and strengths. 

Secondly, effective communication is extremely essential in social networking as the understanding of others are heavily driven by delicate emotions. I would usually analyse a person's character before exhibiting the appropriate response that may help him/her engage and prolong a conversation. However, I may not always be very adept in my social skills as I do express myself in a tone or body language that does not bode well with others. As I am always playing pranks on other people and whispering sweet-nothings to my female friends on a regular basis, it does sadden me that I may be portrayed as a frivolous person who is never really committed to anything. With effective communication, I do hope that I am able to read social situations better and exhibit an appropriate, mature response to my friends' social needs.

On a side note, I wonder if melody may be a form of communication that will resonate with our emotions? I came across this Japanese song with a melody that effectively captures my feelings although I have no idea what he's singing about.


Happy Lunar New Year everyone!  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela. Oh my Gosh Pamela! Why do you sound exactly like me? I also had difficulty creating a blog and a facebook account. Imagine a facebook account! Can you tell me which human being does not have facebook today? LOL. I agree with the fact that communication may be tricky between two people, whereby one is well-versed while the other is not too well-versed in a certain area. However tricky it may be, there still has to be a communication thread between the two. This is where layman terms come in and this is where peer teaching occurs. If the communication between these two people become successful, then there may a strong relationship forged. If the communication has been ineffective, the two may fall out of talking terms. Therefore it is apt to say that effective communication is indeed essential in the above mentioned scenario.
    Yes you are right when you say that people are sensitive. These days on the contrary more men are becoming sensitive. Therefore I agree with you when you say we have to watch our we communicate especially when we are engulfed by emotions such as anger. Afterall words spoken in a haste cannot be taken back. So I feel that effective communication also depends on one's ability to control and neutralise one's emotion during the process of forming the communication thread between the sender and the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,

    You asked a very interesting question at the end of your post!

    I feel that melody can be a form of communication to express our emotions, but to a small extent. Through a module (Science of Music) that I took last semester, I learnt that a melody is a series of musical notes of various pitches and must be accompanied by rhythm. Fast rhythm could convey feelings of happiness, excitement, anger, etc, while slow rhythm could express sadness, boredom, helplessness, and so on. However, to express one’s emotion(s) through a piece of music, the melody alone, in my opinion, is often insufficient. One would require other components such as lyrics, instrumentation, and/or visuals (for music video). Words can evoke emotions so lyrics naturally can impress on us certain feelings. As for instrumentation, try listening to a piano recital of the famous “1812 Overture” and compare it with the orchestral version. I am pretty sure the latter will better represent the celebratory mood of the song. I am not sure if that’s the case but could you have felt something partly because you were listening to the melody and watching the music video at the same time?

    Going back to the third paragraph, I agree that effective communication skills are important for social networking. As we have discussed in class, not knowing your audience is one barrier of communication. For instance, using bombastic English words on someone who is not well versed in English could impede his understanding and cause a breakdown in communication. Furthermore, we have to be sensitive when we communicate with people from different cultural backgrounds. Take hand gestures for example, in many parts of the world, the “V” for victory sign (made when you stick out your index and middle fingers) means “victory” or “peace. In England, this sign means “up yours!” when you face your palm and fingers inwards. For more hand gestures, you can check out this book: “Gestures: The Do’s and Taboos of Body Language Around the World.”

    Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela!

    Happy CNY! I liked your post very much, especially the song at the end!

    With regards to your post, I have had similar experiences with my Bahasa Indonesia tutor where I couldn’t understand what she was saying because of the speed at which she speaks. Thankfully, her distinctive facial features and hand gestures would always come to the rescue and I’d be able to understand what she had said. I think that our non-verbal cues are absolutely essential especially when there’s a language barrier to overcome. Actually, differences in language competency (like you with your German tutor and I with my Bahasa Indonesia tutor) may also pose differences in the one’s ability to convey a certain message. I sometimes have the bad habit of speaking too quickly and some of my friends who do not speak English as a first language often end up going “Huh?” I think that’s something I need keep in mind for the future!

    I listened to the Japanese song you embedded above, and it does in fact sound really jaunty and upbeat! You mentioned that it captures your emotions. What emotions would that be? And also, is it possible that the happy visuals may have also affected your view of the song? Just wondering. Actually this puts me in mind of a similar matter. A few years ago I fell in love with a bouncy little tune that had seemingly innocent lyrics. I had NO idea what the song was about but I used to sing it all the time. And one day I decided to Google the meaning of the song. It turned out that many people interpreted the song as being about a variety of things, such as liver cancer, jaundice, getting high from banana peel, sex toys etc. needless to say, I was absolutely horrified. But after I got over my initial shock, I realized that I still liked the song very much because of the tune and the way I’d feel happy nodding my head to the rhythm. I think I somehow managed to manipulate myself into not focusing on the meanings behind the words but just on the music and its effect on my emotions. Perhaps you’re feeling the same way about a song that’s in a foreign language? It’s not so much about what the words mean but how the music communicates directly to you.

    Thanks for the interesting read Pam! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Pamela, for this clear, comprehensive and entertaining post. You cover a lot of territory here, with a sort of preamble at the start, then a paragraph generalizing of the importance of effective comm skills, and then a couple paragraphs in which you move toward connecting effective comm skills to your own needs. I write "move toward" because you only seem to get focus by the second of those two paragraphs as you discuss social networking skills and, in the very last sentence, highlight your need to better "read social situations." This is not a major criticism, but per the assignment, a bit more focus on exactly that might have been useful.

    In any case, I appreciate your sharing, and I especially like the fact that even when some of your friends tried to dissuade you from taking the course, you persisted --- and here we are. I have no doubt that you will contribute to our class discussions, that there is much of value for you in the course and that you will benefit from your time investment.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela, I totally agree with your point regarding how tricky it can be to effectively and even persuasively engage with another person who is not informed of a subject. However, I think it would be even trickier when it is regarding a subject we are not familiar with either? In order to bring a point across persuasively, do you think we need to first be convinced by it ourselves?

    ReplyDelete