Wednesday 11 April 2012

Reflection on oral presentation


Ez-link card is gooooooood!

I admit that the elevator test really left a huge impact/scar on me back then. The very feeling of my mind going completely blank in front of my classmates in an attempt to sell my proposal was just too traumatizing. ‘What if it happens to me during the actual presentation?!’ I feared. It could be this fear haunting me so much that led me to sit down, and truly learn to understand my proposal.

Jian Min introduced us to a website, Prezi, that allowed us to create presentations that are simple yet straightforward. We opted for a presentation with few words and only relevant pictures in hopes of making a point across the audience. The presentation slides were really interactive (I get really excited when trying new technology!) and the pictures really helped in my visualization of the presentation and its flow. Meanwhile, I took the weekend to rehearse for my part and decided to give abbreviations to the points that I will be covering so that I will not be overwhelmed.

During the presentation, the transition between my teammates was smooth and hopefully the slides were engaging to the students. I particularly liked the use of photos to explain a real-life situation as it may be something that the students can identify themselves with. With the use of pictures and few words, we had to work harder to engage the audience with our natural charms (hahaha!). I made an effort to make eye contact to the audience and tried to smile more (I hope I did) but I noticed that I was pretty soft while presenting. While I felt that the presentation was really good overall, it would have been better if we had rehearsed together as a group at least once to gel the charisma of our personalities into the presentation.

Perhaps it was the nature of our proposal topic that was close to the hearts of many students, that many questions were posed to us during the Q and A. I was overwhelmed by the intense questioning and was panicking inside when they did not seem too convinced by our responses. I felt that I did not do a good job as I was unable to think on my feet to the myriad of questions posed.

Nevertheless, I’m really glad to have Jian Min, Mercia and Gladys as my teammates as they are so encouraging and fun to be with! I really enjoyed the process of doing this proposal as I finally got a chance to step into OED as well as have random chats with stall vendors in various canteens. I hope that my presentation skills have improved after coming thus far in es2007s.

Thanks guys for being so awesome! (courtesy of Gladys!)

15 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! :)

    Pretzi is a tool that has been widely used these days because many people find it to be superior to powerpoint since it's great for linking points and stuffs. My team had intentions to use it only to abort the idea because we were not too sure how to use it :P. Slides wide, although Pretzi is a great platform, there was bait too much of swirling but overall it was fine. :)

    As for delivery, my impression of your presentation was that you were very humble and extremely courteous. You were presenting with a clear understanding of your audience and were sensitive to the fact that these audience are the stakeholders and your job is to convince them and at the same time fill the shoes of being a student. You were also confident, clear and audible.

    However, I noticed that you were overusing your hand gestures a little. After awhile, it seemed like you were doing a macarena dance. :P I think it was a subconscious thing but may be you'd like to work on it. :) I always like how you are usually very humorous during your presentations but this time round, you were very serious which I fit the presentation. :)

    Great Job Pam!

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacq!

      Hahahaha macarena dance! I was looking at my team video presentation and it was too painful for me to watch my own performance as my hands kept moving a tad too much! It's probably a sign of nervousness I guess. I'll practice some hand control in the future.

      Delete
  2. Guten Tag, Pam..

    I felt you really improved, a lot, from the mock interview. Jian Min was loud spoken, very confident and convincing when he presented the opening so we need a strong ending to balance it. Nevertheless, you managed to add extra strength to conclude our presentation. Ich liebe dich! :D A very good presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mein schatz (sweetheart), Mercia!

      Thank you so much for your compliment! We started our presentation with a bang! Was pretty worried that I wasn't able to conclude our presentation well but it warms my heart to hear your melodic praises! ich liebe dich! <3

      Delete
  3. Hello Ms. TDH!

    I thought your team did very well for the OP! Being the last speaker, I thought that you concluded realy smoothly. I'd like to commend on your impeccable delivery. No stammering, nothing at all! I'm really impressed! You didn't say a single 'actually' (I think). It was really heartening to see you evolve, from the "semi-elevator pitch" session to the actual presentation. From a not-so-confident to a more confident Pam. Haha, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kristyn!

      Thank you so much for your compliment! I must say the elevator test was definitely the turning point for me to get my act together! I was really flattered when you mentioned in class that my presentation was almost flawless. I believe there's still a long way to go to build up my confidence as well as overcome my fear of speaking in big groups.

      Delete
  4. Hello Pamela!!! (:

    I think you did an excellent job in the OP!! You may seem soft because during the mock presentation, that was because you were more relaxed and that gave you room for your comical self. I agree with Jacq, I thought your 'soft' voice just made you really courteous and that was important because we were speaking to people who are older than us, and have more authority than us. So your tone was appropriate! Don't worry about that!

    I'm personally very impressed with the conclusion that you came up with, and how convincing you were! I remember you being very lost when preparing for OP because you said you didn't know what to present haha but when I heard you present during the mock OP, I was like "wow!!". It was really good! This just prove that you're capable to handle all these presentations!

    Good job, Pamela!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gladys!! :)

      Thank you so much for your compliment! I'm glad I managed to pull the conclusion off as I was so afraid I would look like I'm summarising monotonously! Oh my thank you for having so much faith in me! :D

      Delete
  5. Hello Pamela,

    I felt that you presented very well. You really got a grip on yourself after the elevator test. Good job Pam!!! Moreover I felt that your presentation was smooth and fluent. It also felt natural like you did not memorise any script. Or did you;) HAHA jus kidding!

    I felt that your eye contact, posture and interaction with the audience was all good and I hardly have much to complain about. You did such a good job! Your conclusion was very persuading and I enjoyed your presentation tremendously:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Loshini!

      Hahaha I did have a script! However I really took to understanding my proposal this time instead of memorising my script so everything just flowed. Thank you so much for the compliment and I enjoyed your presentation just as much too! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Pamela!

    I think you did a good job=) it was really fluent and you presented in a comfortable pace, which made it easier for us to understand the topic.

    However, I also noticed that you were less enthusiastic compared to your previous presentations. It was more professional though. The Prezi was well done too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eileen!

      Thank you so much for the compliment! Yups I noticed I wasn't as cheerful as before but I hope I wasn't too intimidating with the professional stance. I love Prezi too!

      Delete
  7. Hey Pamela!

    I think that you really did a splendid job in your presentation and summary of your team members' parts! I could tell that you were nervous, especially when you wore a really stern expression when you first stepped up to present. However, like all your team mates you quickly settled and the presentation started becoming more interactive and engaging. I think this is partially because you were excited by your own slides while you were presenting - I think I would!

    I think that your eye contact was also much better than during the mock - because you really made an effort to smile and engage with the audience.

    Hmm...I think that your group actually fared reasonably well in the Q & A so don't harp on it!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Titus!

      I was so nervous when Gladys suddenly passed the baton and suddenly it was my turn to present! I thought the slide animations were so cute too! I may sound crazy and deprived, but I was excited at the wireless presenter as I could present and click like a boss! Guess that took a decent part of my nervousness away.

      I think I must have looked really unfriendly during the mock OP but I'm glad things worked out during the actual OP! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Pamela!

    Haha, springbeans, I like this name. Of course, I like your presentation as well!! The slides are very an fantastic work, I believe everyone attracted by them and had fun. I seen that before and I thought it only can be done by Mac? Can tell me the software name?:) Yeah, the people who made used of their slides also done a nice job, I can see that the order had been designed and arranged well as you mentioned in the post. The whole work was smooth and and fluent, first impressed by the fun story by Jian Ming, followed by the detailed description by you, Gladys and Mercia, great team work!!

    Also, I almost didn't see you nervous, confident smile in your face and appropriate gestures, even thought I missed your mock OP, I sure your well prepared and done a better job! Haha, you will improve more and be a nice speaker anyway, good luck to your finals!!

    ReplyDelete